Thursday, October 21, 2010

Passing of an Era


We have had a loss in the family recently. Mysweet’s mum, who lived to the grand old age of 98, has finally quietly left us. It doesn’t matter how much the event is expected, it is still shocking to be reminded of how brief (however long!) is our time here with the ones that we love. Here is a photo of her at her engagement, when she was 18 and in the full flower of youth. She was very beautiful wasn’t she…

My autistic musicians had their usual uplifting effect on me this morning. I determined to live in the moment, as they do, and give them the best time I possibly could . The new boy is very taken with a large plastic toy microphone. It is completely acoustic with a big spring inside it which makes it reverberate in a very satisfying way when you sing into it. He has discovered that if he hits himself gently on the head with it it makes a similarly satisfying sound...especially if you cant speak. He keeps looking at my head wistfully as though he would like to find out what it would sound like if he hit me with it... but so far so good.

Mmm he still doesn't have a name yet. "The boy who would like to hit me" doesn't sound quite right...

10 comments:

Frankofile said...

Oh yes, stunning photograph. I do hope the shawl was hers. There is a studio portrait of my dad as a child - he remembered forever that they took the toy train back from him after the shoot :-(

Rosie said...

I hope so too...poor boy, for his train though.

marja-leena said...

Beautiful photo of a beautiful woman. She certainly lived to a lovely ripe old age. Sorry for your loss, always sad no matter the age.

tristan said...

fab !
fab !
lovely !

Zhoen said...

She's lovely. My condolences to yoursweet.

Microphonic Boy?

Dick said...

Condolences to you both. No, there's no amount of anticipation that quite prepares you for the jolt. My mum went at 94 and there is some comfort in a life lived long and, by and large, well.

Ms Mac said...

So sorry to read your news. She was a very beautiful woman.

Lucy said...

Amazing to think she was that grown-up and beautiful eighty years ago and has only just left. Certainly a good span.

20th Century Woman said...

How lovely she was.

The boy with the acoustic head?

Rosie said...

The boy with the acoustic head is not bad...I'll see if it fits