Thursday, January 24, 2008

Music and movement

I went to see my teenage autistic students today.

A girl who loves to repeat sung phrases and improvises long stories.
A boy who is inert and unresponsive until he hears the guitar. His face comes alight and his body is tilted towards the instrument.
A boy with a thatch of red hair who dances to the music with his arms and elbows while he is sitting down.
And two more boys that I will come to know better.

I watch them with their teacher. It will be my turn next week, and I feel a quiet happiness.

3 comments:

Lesley said...

You're so lucky to have music as a way of opening up communication.

meggie said...

I can understand the boy with the guitar music. That is how it makes me feel!

Lucy said...

Oh good, I'm glad you're looking forward to it!