Thursday, June 17, 2010

Holidays are a coming

Phew, those holidays are very welcome. Everything is starting to wind down for French summertime, which is taken very seriously, sunshine notwithstanding. My classes are tailing off, and I am simply left with my autist music students until the beginning of July, when they disappear on a camping holiday.

A party atmosphere was definitely discernable in our workshop this morning. The girl who loves keys clipped my keyring securely to her belt, and custom made her own percussion kit with the loudest clangiest bits of metal she could find. The boy who says "oui" is now the king of the keyboard. He plugged it in, selected various melodies and was then fascinated by the auto accompaniement which changed key every time he pressed a single note. Drunk with power he moved his large hands over the notes and showered us with unlikely chord sequences.
The boy who usually makes a sound like a chainsaw gave up when faced with such extreme competition on the noise front. He reverted to his other persona (the boy who eats everything).
He approached Mysweet's Kooldrum with a look of infinite cunning, grabbed the little sticks with the pink swirly rubber balls on the end of them, and stuck one in his mouth. A quick bite and it split in half. I managed to get it back before he could swallow it. It is such tough rubber, he must have jaws like an alligator...
He was very pleased with himself, so I suppose you could say that we all had a good time this morning.


7 comments:

marja-leena said...

Sounds like you are ready for that holiday, and a bit of peace and quiet as a reward for such patience with your students!

Dingo said...

As long as the boy who makes chainsaw sounds did not eat the keys, I call this day perfect.

Zhoen said...

Success is a personal sort of thing, apparently. You must have strong ears. I'd have run away with my fingers in my ears, humming.

Rosie said...

m-l boy do I need it!
dingo he prefers his objects to be chewy or crunchy and he cant quite manage solid metal...yet
Z, each to their own. I am not very good at blood...

20th Century Woman said...

Happy holidays and have some quiet time!

Laura Paine Carr said...

What a powerful paragraph.

julia said...

I love the way you refer to these young people, it shows your affection for them. And you obviously give them joy
Enjoy your rest and here's hoping for Breton-blue skies!