Monday, March 17, 2008

The wanderer returns and the suitcase explodes.

Who is this tanned, slender, handsome man who staggers out of the station under the weight of his baggage? He is smiling a smile that I vaguely remember having seen twenty years ago, but not so often recently.

It is that of a relaxed man who has only had to worry about mealtimes, travel arrangements, and not leaving his passport and money in telephone booths; a man who has sat in cafés and watched people, and talked to strangers; who has had the most precious of all gifts …time to just be.

I breathe in his calm in deep greedy gasps. I clutch at him. Perhaps he can transfer some of it to me by his mere touch. I remember coming back from India with the same feeling myself and search my racing brain for the mind set. That feeling of being balanced and centred, of living now. I think it is called happiness.

We go back home, the family gather round the table, and the suitcase explodes. Now we are all smiling as we touch the silks, play the instruments and wear the jewellery…


The woodstove hisses and roars obediently after just one last gesture of defiance when it fills the whole house with smoke. He is back then...

9 comments:

Casdok said...

How exciting!!

Mrs. Chili said...

How wonderful! Welcome home, weary traveler!

Mike said...

I used to have to spend an ungodly amount of time in China and I remember well how absolutely wonderful it felt when I returned home to my family.

Congratulations on his safe return.

amy said...

Glad he is back safely and bringing treasures and that feeling of adventure with him. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Leslie: said...

Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" said, "There's no place like home!"

meggie said...

Welcome home Refreshed One!

Lucy said...

How lump in the throat lovely!
Welcome home small fish!

Ms Mac said...

Awwww!

And not a mention of, "Did you bring me any presents?" You are a better woman than I.

hexe said...

Can you pass that calm along through the blog? Glad everyone is home safely.