Sunday, March 30, 2008

Is there a big enough box for the hedgehogs?

I am astounded, and slightly relieved, at the number of blogs I have visited lately (in my hemisphere), where the bloggers are suffering from "pre Spring had enough of the cold grey rain tristesse". City and country dwellers are equally affected but those of you with the more extreme conditions of snow don’t seem to be so troubled. Is it the bright white shining light that saves you from SAD? This must mean that my own mood swing of hedgehog woman craving her hibernation box is quite normal and not indicative of a real depressive bout looming on the horizon.


I have been wondering what to do when the inevitable does finally occur. I am reluctant to try the patience of those who pass by here from time to time with the minutiae of my descent into the pit. Perhaps I should just make my excuses and leave like a News of the World reporter or Scott at the pole, “I may be some time…”

I have been arming myself against manic depression with cold hard information. Ever since I saw a video of the neuroanatomist, Jill Bolte Taylor, who had a stroke in the left side of her very own brain, I could not get the memory of her very moving account out of my own brain. She experienced and remembered the process of her left brain shutting down completely, and the mystical feeling of being directly in contact with the outside world and at one with it- no sense of self - when she had only her right brain in action. The left brain is the internal voice that finds fault, tells you what you should have done yesterday and ought to do tomorrow. When I am depressed, that voice is not very friendly and turns into Bernard Manning's mother in law.
Just imagine for a moment…the silence…

Is this where meditation can take you, to listen to the silence of your right brain?
I wonder how to turn off my left brain and shut her up, just for a bit of peace now and then. Of course I don’t want to silence her for ever. I need words. But wouldn’t it be nice to just flip a switch…or turn the volume down at least...

I’ll go and take Porridge out instead…

But first a quiz that I did after seeing it at mrs chilli's, a woman who knows a bit about yoga I would say:




Your Dosha is Vata

Creative and restless, you take in all of life's pleasures (maybe a little too much!).

You're quick witted and very talkative, but you also tend to have a spotty memory.

You tend to get very into ideas, people, and lifestyles... but only for a short time.

It's difficult to hold your attention, and you sometimes feel with what life has to offer.

With friends: You are very uncomfortable in new situations or with new people

In love: You fall in and out of love very easily

To achieve more balance: Live in a warm climate and spend some quiet time in nature


18 comments:

Lesley said...

My dosha is in my pursa.

Rosie said...

I wish mine was...it is in my childrens pursas

Mrs. Chili said...

Heh.

Really, the thing I love most about yoga is the meditation, the stilling of the mind, the self-acceptance. I was raised in an abusive household, and it's taken me all my life (and is still a work in progress) to be able to silence the inner critic (the itty-bitty-shitty-committee, if you will). Being able to move into a space of acceptance and love for oneself is the main reason I practice, and my hope is that, as a teacher, I can pass that on to as many others who need it as I can.

Leslie: said...

This is me:

Your Dosha is Kapha

Calm and grounded, you are not prone to mood swings or anger.
However, once you do get angry, it takes a lot to cool you down.
You tend to think a little slower than most people, but your logic is astounding.
Overall, you very loyal and trustworthy. You're not scared of being who you really are.
With friends: You enjoy their company, but often listen more than talk
In love: You crave connection and affection. It's hard for you to be single.
To achieve more balance: Exercise vigorously (especially in the sun) and let go of attachments.

I don't really know much about yoga, but from what I read from mrs. chili (comment above mine) she sounds like she came from a similar family environment as I did. If it works for her, I might just give it a try. (I love her "itty-bitty-shitty-committee description! lol)

By the way - there's something for you over at my place so come and get it! ;D

Mike said...

My Dosha is Kapha. I bet my wife would totally disagree with that.

Rosie said...

I have to find a good yoga group. The only one round here that I tried was a cult where they suggested that you create a shrine and worshipped a picture of a certain lady who had a moustache and lives in Delhi. There are others that concentrate on exercise and are just a variation on modern dance. Mindfulness Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is the most interesting approach that I have seen so far but I have more chance of being abducted by aliens than finding that in a small town in Brittany.

Ellee Seymour said...

Hi, I found your blog from leslie's post about Excellent bloggers. I did the test and was Pitta. It seems to fit me.

You have a quick mind, a gift for persuasion, and a sharp sense of humor.
You have both the drive and people skills to be a very successful leader.
Argumentative and a bit stubborn, you have been known to be a little too set in your ways.
But while you may be biased toward your own point of view, you are always honest, fair, and ethical.

With friends: You are outgoing and open to anyone who might want to talk to you

In love: You are picky but passionate

To achieve more balance: Be less judgmental of those around you, and take cool walks in the moonlight.

Casdok said...

Oh i would love to beable to flip that switch on my brain sometimes!!

katydidnot said...

I love the picky and passionate in love. hehehehe.

I am Pitta:

You have a quick mind, a gift for persuasion, and a sharp sense of humor.
You have both the drive and people skills to be a very successful leader.
Argumentative and a bit stubborn, you have been known to be a little too set in your ways.
But while you may be biased toward your own point of view, you are always honest, fair, and ethical.

With friends: You are outgoing and open to anyone who might want to talk to you

In love: You are picky but passionate

To achieve more balance: Be less judgmental of those around you, and take cool walks in the moonlight.

Rosie said...

I am jealous of everyones elses dosha. I want to be picky and passionate...but no apparently I am fickle and faithless and my memory is spotty...

amy said...

ha ha, I am Vata too! So you are not alone, in fickleness etc. At least this explains why it makes some sense to live out in the country, when I miss the city every single day.

Rosie said...

amy we must be mad...I miss the city every day too. Spending quiet time in the country is making me even more unbalanced! Let's set up a secret meeting in a city (sssh dont tell anyone)

amy said...

I'm there! Who gets to be Thelma and who gets to be Louise?

Lucy said...

I might get round to finding my dosha, sounds a bit like astrology to me, so vague and generally flattering any of them could fit.

I do a bit of yoga as exercise with a friend, it's not very meditation oriented, though she's found it's helped her through difficult times. Perhaps a retreat, in London say, with something you could continue to practise when you come away?

Please don't disappear altogether when/if you do hit the downward slide. I don't know how's the best way to carry on here, play it by ear I guess, you'll know at the time, perhaps.

amy said...

I'm serious about the city escape. Hope you're doing okay.

Scott McLean said...

Hi there, Growing up I had a golden retriever. Glad to hear you have one. Take care.

Rosie said...

Thanks everyone for expressing your concern. When I reread the post perhaps it does sound a little darker than I realised!
But all is well...Amy, just name your city (There isnt really one worthy of the name hereabouts) I suppose there is always the new wine bar in town...!
I know - we should organise an Iam bossy type European road trip..

http://www.iambossy.com/i_am_bossy/

Rosie said...

hello scott, nice to meet you. I hope your golden was a bit better behaved than mine is...